Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Verisimilitude

Verisimilitude.  It means a slice of life; an event so real it appears to defy reality.

Since I first came across this word years and years ago I have aimed to let that word define me, define the chapters of my life.  I lead a colorful life.  I have a natural curiosity that leads me into sometimes extreme situations.  I travel.  A lot.  And when I do it is typically to places not frequented by tourists because I love experiencing cultures so far from my own that they appear outright alien to me...at first.  This presents my favorite challenge - finding a way to relate to someone who seems completely unrelatable to me.  There are some who call my innate curiosity naivety, and some who call it fearlessness.  I guess I understand both views, but I still go with simple "curiosity".

What does this have to do with "verisimilitude"?  Well, throughout my travels and my colorful little life I've collected a series of stories that, I feel, exemplify this word to it's fullest.  And I plan on writing about them in posts to come, so this is the "intro" so to speak.  It sounds silly, but when I picture this word I see a rainbow with pie-piece-shaped slices removed, and each of these slices is one of my memories; one of my stories.  I'm a very visual person...

What's to follow in these stories of my sometimes surreal life? Here are a few previews:
  • That time my guardian angel (or whatever you wanna call it) saved my life;
  • That time a mob of Muslim extremists swarmed around me screaming "you will die today";
  • That time I met a life-long friend while wandering lost 100 yards out to sea;
  • That time I ate some magical mushrooms and demons came out to play.
Stay tuned; I'm excited to share!

2 comments:

  1. First, I love this word!

    Second, I can't wait for the post that I (for good or bad), had an impact on.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear it, Scott. I've been reluctant to write about it in the event that it would bring up bad memories for you. Now I think I'll do that one first ;-) I can't wait for more adventures together...tho hopefully more tame than THAT particular one...

      Delete